Sunday, August 14, 2011

{A Glimpse into Another Life}


In the past few years, many Amish families have moved up and around my hometown. I have always been extremely fascinated with their way of life, and on this trip we made a visit.

In the Amish culture, their faces are never to be photographed, a few of them do let you take their picture from behind. They believe that when their picture taken, they are making an image in God's likeness, going against the second commandment: Exodus 20:4.
When we got to their farm, a young lady was sitting at an old Singer sewing machine doing her family's mending. It was so picturesque, I couldn't believe it. My grandmother and I asked her nicely if we could take her picture from behind, but she didn't feel comfortable. I was a little upset, but I respected her culture and moved on.
While we were driving down the road, I say this Amish fellow actually "mowing" his grass along the road. Our way of life is so much more different than theirs, which makes them so intriguing.  

Until tomorrow,
McKenna

p.s. The photo below is one of the baby calves the Amish have at their farm. Veal (as my dad would say). I feel in love with this one, I could have taken him home with me.<3


1 comment: